Apart from being home to some of the major fashion houses, Milan also boasts a myriad of small artisan shops. Hidden in the narrow streets of the Lombardy capital these little gems are only known to the local connoisseurs in search for high quality craftmanship and uniqueness.
Here is my pick of Milan’s best and brightest handmade jewelry shops where you can get a special piece that will make your friends stare with envy.
*If you want to add something please feel free to leave a comment. I would appreciate it.
- Agapanthus Gioielli – made in Lombardy by skilled craftmen, Agapanthus’s jewels are made of silver and yellow, white or pink gold, always handbrushed and sanded. In this way they have a very natural look, giving the impression of being a family treasure. The precious metals are matched with a variety stones like diamonds, rubies and sapphires. Via Cerva 14, Milan (near San Babila).
2. Monies – not just jewelry, but avant-garde, yet elegant, wearable art. Monies pieces are made from nature’s own materials including ebony, coconut, cowbone, amber, petrified wood, fossils, precious stones and seeds, sourced and carefully chosen from all over the world. Via Cerva 16, Milan (near San Babila).
- daniela de marchi – the strenght of her jewels is given by the possibility to customize any piece according to your style. You can mix and match silver, bronze and brass with a variety of natural stones. And the best part is that even if you get fed up after a while, you can always visit one of her ateliers in Milan and change the colour of your metal or even susbtitute the stones. Via dei Piatti 9, Milan, close to Duomo; Via Pontaccio 2, in Brera district; Piazzale Lavater 2, close to Porta Venezia.
- Anthozoa – gold and silver, moonstone from India or handcarved coral from the Paficif ocean. Clean lines and reach elements coexsist together in Anthozoa’s collections. Via Malpighi 7, close to Porta Venezia.
- Busatti Gioielli – the kind of jewelry that gives an unusual glamour to its wearer. Contemporary design and timeless appeal make it impossible to resist. Diamonds, pearls and coloured stones are just some of the many stories Busatti has to tell. Via della Spiga 1
- Martino e Mazzolini – statement jewelry made of bronze and brass, handcrafted from the beginning till the end in the atelier in Via Giovanni Rasori 8, close to Pagano metro station.
- Paola Grande Gioielli – a tiny shop full with irreristible handcrafted jewelry pieces made by Paola and Giulia, mother and daugheter and exponents of five generations of Neapolitan goldsmith tradition. I saw on display some stunning pieces including earrings and bracelets made of gold, silver, bronze and featuring moody precious stones and crystals. Giulia told me that they also do custom made pieces so if you were looking for someone in Milan to make your jewelry drems come true, consider that you have found it. Via Fiori Chiari 16, Brera district.