Here is another guest post from my friends Sofia and Carleen who live in the States and share their most favorite things to in Vegas.
Whether you call it Sin City, the City of Lights or simply the Entertainment Capital of the world, there is no denying that Las Vegas, Nevada should be on everyone’s travel bucket list. Of course, with so much choice on what to do during your stay, it can be difficult to narrow down your shortlist. So here are just five of our favourite Las Vegas activities to get you started planning your dream trip to one of the world’s most popular holiday destinations:
- Watch a Show – If you love a show, then Vegas is a haven. With everything from famous pop stars spending months performing night after night to the world-famous Cirque du Soleil having their own purpose-built stage here – there really is something for everyone. For a totally bizarre, yet oddly euphoric experience, the Blue Man Group perform twice nightly at the Luxor Resort and Casino. Or, if you enjoy comedy and magic, then Piff the Magic Dragon could be for you. Think one man and his chihuahua both dressed as dragons and performing amazing tricks. When not on tour, Piff performs most nights at Bugsy’s Cabaret. Whatever show you choose, be sure to book well in advance of your trip as shows in Vegas sell out easily. You can see the top 10 shows here.
- Visit the Casinos – It doesn’t matter whether you’re a professional or you simply fancy a flutter on a game of roulette. You absolutely cannot visit Las Vegas without visiting some of its most famous casinos. With so many casinos on offer, it can be hard to narrow down the shortlist of which to visit, however, two of our favourites to recommend are Binions and the Golden Nugget. Binions is a traditional Vegas casino with its very own steakhouse on-site and is the perfect destination for any poker player. For a more opulent casino, with more games on offer, you can’t beat a visit to the Golden Nugget. With poolside blackjack and slot machines, this casino feels like luxury to the extreme. Plus, there are plenty of places to wine and dine on site. For more casino ideas check out the following recommendations.
- Eat Your Heart Out – When you think of Las Vegas, two things probably come to mind. The first is casinos, the second is all-you-can-eat buffets. Vegas is no place for a diet – and rightly so! Your trip to Vegas should be the time to eat your heart out, as you get to taste some of the best food across the globe. Beijing Noodle No. 9, at Caeser’s Palace, has a mind-boggling 14-page menu with every Asian dish you could possibly dream of. Plus, the open kitchen where chefs hand stretch noodles will have you wanting to return night after night to watch their skills. For the truly quirky, the Heart Attack Grill has a hospital theme where the waitresses are dressed as nurses to take your order (of loads of calorific foods) as a prescription. Some menu highlights include the all-you-can-eat flatliner fries, which have been cooked in lard and the burgers that can weigh as much as 32oz.
- Stay Somewhere Spectacular – If you have a fantasy place to stay – whether it be sleeping in a pyramid or a medieval Disney-type palace – then it’s highly likely that Las Vegas has the dream hotel for you. Excalibur lets you live out your fairytale fantasy in a hotel shaped like a castle. There’s even an in-house Tournament of Kings dinner and show experience, which tells the story of King Arthur and includes knights galloping around on beautiful horses. If you love ancient Egypt, then book your stay at the Luxor, which is roughly the same size and shape as the real Red Pyramid.
- Be a Daredevil – If there’s one thing that Las Vegas actively encourages, it’s inspiring people to get out of their comfort zones. Which is exactly why there are so many daredevil experiences for those who like to get their adrenaline pumping. These include activities such as tandem sky dives, racing experiences with dream cars such as Porsches and Ferraris and even zombie apocalypse experiences. No matter what you choose, one thing is for sure – you’ll never get bored in Las Vegas!